So smart phones in general are not bad... At one point the "laptop" was itself a fantasy.... You know... A PC that you can take with you any where and just prop the screen open and use it...
Then came that smart phones, that I and Papa Lion resisted for quite some time. But at the end our old phones were of no use and we needed to buy new phones. And there were no standard phones on the market! So after trying cellular phone stores one by one, we came to a conclusion that it is time to start using them!
And with time, my husband, who is a tech addict, found a new passion in the maintenance and upgrade of smart phones, and I found a wonderful access to online books applications and lots of online resources for PDF books. I found it even more useful after having baby Leo, as I decided to use the time of breastfeeding -for example- to go on with my e-readings.
So, suddenly, our smart phones became our friends.
Recently, however, and after I used it to show baby Leo a couple of baby rhyme songs to help distract him during our bottle-battles (not really battles, it was a training, but a tough one!), he became more aware of the existence of my smartphone!
Now, whenever I grab my phone and he gets a glimpse of me doing so, he leaves anything he is doing and turns fully to my smartphone to explore what I am doing with it! He 'digs' his face into my smartphone's screen and stares in it :-D
So I decided to eliminate the use of smartphone in front of him as much as I can. I do not want him to become very used to it from now. I do believe that it affects his intelligence and limits his imagination. I want him to grow up a normal kid, playing with dirt, kicking footballs, chasing his cousins and plays hide and seek.
And most of all, knows how to talk to a human, not type on a screen!

Not to mention that mobile phones are hazardous to your health as they can cause tumors. Even when I talk on my phone I would use the loud speaker so that I don't put it right next to my ear. They say not to let children handle a mobile phone until about 16 years of age.
ReplyDeleteExactly!
DeleteI really hope that I will be able to keep my son mobile-clean until he is done with high school. The problem is that nowadays school children have the "smart phone" as a necessary part of their school bag, just as their pencil bags!
So it would be me vs. the pop culture...
May Allah help me... difficult enough!
Read this http://www.bellybelly.com.au/baby/a-doctor-warns-this-activity-has-damaging-affects-on-your-babys-brain/
ReplyDeleteMy God!
DeleteNow I feel so regretful for not sticking to my previous decision of not buying a TV set -or at least not have a satellite channel receiver- when we were furnishing our house!
But that TV set is there any way... I will do my best not to let him watch TV until he is 3 years old...
I can control that at home... But I really hope that it will be possible when I am not with him!
Thank you for your sincere advice, sister! Jazaki Allah Khair...