I expect this blog to be read by sisters only... So if you were a brother: "Indeed, I seek refuge in the Most Merciful from you, [so leave me], if you should be fearing of Allah " (Surah: Maryam, Ayah: 18)

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Running Between Extremes!

Isn't this what we -as mothers- do?

Consider the following:

I cannot resist the urge to keep talking to baby Leo. Then I suddenly realize that I might be causing him to be very dependent on me (or others) to entertain himself. I think that I want him to be independent and to learn how to entertain himself. Then I put him on TV hoping that he will learn to watch TV and will not need me to talk to him and give him my attention all the time. I pick the TV channels I allow him to watch VERY CAREFULLY. I only let him watch channels with quality TV shows that are good for his mind and does not sneak evil thoughts or thoughts that might contradict Islamic beliefs to his young mind.

I, then, suddenly freak out and feel that he might turn to a passive receiver if I allow him to get used to TV. So I decide to minimize TV time and talk to him more and interact with him more.

Then I am back to square 1! And I freak out fearing that he will be dependent on me again!

And the cycle goes on and on :-)

2 comments:

  1. Assalamu alaykum,

    Don't put your son in front of the tv! Yes it makes him passive. He'll just stare at the flickering lights and movements - it's very numbing on the brain. Besides, he's too young to be in front of the tv. Keep it away from him until he's at least 3 years old.

    Keep talking to him sister! This is very important for him to develop language and oral speech. It won't make him dependent but will also help to develop a stronger bond between the two of you. When he's older he will find it natural to talk and share things with you.

    Take care,
    Jameela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sister.

      The only TV channel I put him on is one designed specially for young children. The content is censored, does not contradict with Islamic thoughts, is not violent, the words are so polite, the language is proper, it has some good amount of interactive shows (in which the cartoon character, for example, asks the children to do a certain move with her to help her energize her battery and pauses to allow children to do what she asks for and then thanks them for her battery was energized because of their help). It also introduces some positive thoughts about -for example- down syndrome children by airing a cartoon show centered about a down syndrome girl... in short, I used to suppose it is the best TV channel for young children.

      HOWEVER, yes, I guess that 5 months old is too young even for this. He does not understand interaction or the proper language. He only sees colors and sounds, so TV at this time is not a choice.

      I will keep talking to him as I am doing now. I really hope that he will grow up finding talking to me and sharing his thoughts with me comfortable as you said.

      Thank you alot sister.

      Delete