So to explain further on my own way of dealing with the Music issue, I would say that I have listened and read a lot of scholars' opinions about music. A lot to the extent that I became dizzy.
I always passed in phases of stopping music completely, listening to minimum amounts of music in nasheeds, listening to pure music, and then indulging in music and songs.
After a lot of phases back and forth, I reached to my own conclusion regarding music.
I DO listen to music.
But under the following conditions:
- That music is not accompanied with lyrics that have words that can be or indicate kufr or shirk
- That music is not accompanied with impolite lyrics or lyrics that can indicate infidel or haraam relationships or behaviors (like songs that include hints of kissing or touching)
- That music does not bring thoughts of unethical situations (like specific types of music that is known to be for belly-dancing)
- That listening to music does not exceed a certain limit
The limit is defined by how much it penetrates the subconscious. I always make sure to listen to holy Quran recitations at night time. During the day, I like to also listen to Islamic nasheeds. I allow some non-Islamic music to slip here and there, but whenever I notice myself "humming" regular music, I stop it completely. Because then I know that music is penetrating its way through my subconscious. I like to think of myself as either humming Quranic recitations, or humming Islamic nasheeds with lyrics that can be counted as either thiker or positive thoughts.
This way, I would not ignite that spark of desire to music, and at the same time, I would protect my inside and insure that it is full of positiveness, inshaAllah!
Oh wow great point...totally get where you are coming from sister, sounds like me totally. If you dont mind check my blog out in sha Allah
ReplyDeleteWelcome to my humble place sister...
DeleteSure... I will visit you inshaAllah...