I expect this blog to be read by sisters only... So if you were a brother: "Indeed, I seek refuge in the Most Merciful from you, [so leave me], if you should be fearing of Allah " (Surah: Maryam, Ayah: 18)

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

When my Friends are Being Very "Middle Eastern".... Fasting

So what does being "Middle Eastern" mean here?

What I mean by "Middle Eastern" here is being so controlled by the common mentality of the Middle East and behaving as if the world consists of ONLY the Middle East. So when one is stuck in common ways of thinking without even a minimum amount of criticism, that is being Middle Eastern. When one behaves as if the "Middle East" is the reference for everything, then that is being a typical "Middle Eastern". The Middle East itself is a neutral place that has its goods and bads. Middle Eastern people also are normal humans who have their strengths and flaws. So there is nothing wrong about being a Middle Eastern.

But when some one identifies as ONLY Middle Eastern, whether consciously or not, then that's what I do not like. And yes, some of my friends have moments of being rigid "Middle Easterns".

So in Ramadan, as I mentioned before, in the organization that I work in, there are practicing Muslims, non-practicing Muslims, Arab Christians, and expats from several religious backgrounds. In short, not every one fasts in Ramadan. But in general, the atmosphere is coincident with the holy month.

Our department manager is a Christian American. And here, in our offices, we have no extra luxurious furnishing, only the basic needs for office work. Some people bring their own kettles or coffee machines. Our manager does not. So when he wants to prepare his instant coffee, he has to walk to the water cooler down the isle to get hot water. One day in Ramadhan, my friend was in my office room chatting with me over a case. Our manager passed in the corridor, apparently he was heading to bring hot water for his coffee. He had his mug in his hand. He was holding it low and trying o keep his hand as near to his body as possible so that it does not bring attention. My friend saw him and commented: "He is rude, you know! He is walking in the corridor with his mug as if he is showing us that he is not fasting!"

I smiled and said nothing. But in my head I was thinking that she looked at him really hard and inspected him to find the mug! She looked for the mug... if she was not thinking about it I bet the she would have not noticed!



This same friend once came to me telling me she is very irritated by her office mate. Because she eats in Ramadan. The other girl is a non practicing Muslim. She does not fast, but she respects that other people are fasting. My friend came to me complaining that in the beginning of Ramadan her room mate used to eat in office but she said it was ok because the other girl had her period so she had a reason for not fasting. But then she continued eating. I asked my friend: "What does she eat? Like "real" food?" She replied: "The other day she cut an apple with the knife and the smell filled the room!" so I thought "Ok, all of this is for an apple! ok let's see what else she has to say" then my friend said: "and today she has put powder milk and sugar in the bowl and added hot water and cereal and the smell filled the office" Ok! now what I know is that my friend does not like cereal! So I asked: "So you usually like cereal and she is now eating cereal in front of you while you are fasting?" she said: "No, I do not usually like cereal, but you know, I am a human of flesh and blood and when you are fasting every thing smells nice!"... Okaaaaay... here I was silent because whatever I said my friend would not accept it. Her room mate was -obviously- trying to avoid any real food at office. And she tried to concentrate on things that my friend usually do not like. But apparently my friend was expecting her to fast at office and to eat NOTHING. Well, if she is not fasting for Allah, do you want her to fast for you? Besides, she is eating inside her office, not in public, so you cannot say she was violating the holiness of the month.

This is something that we, Middle Eastern people, like to do. We do not want to miss any fun. And we want to obey Allah at the same time. When we want to fast in Ramadan, we want every one around us to fast. If we catch a glimpse of a cigarette somewhere, we feel bitter. If we wear hijab, we feel bitter about every non-hijabi around us who dresses elegant and catches the eyes with her flowing hair and sweet perfume. If we decide to keep our virtue and minimize our interaction with men, we feel bitter about every extrovert woman or girl who talks to her colleagues freely and who seems liked by her male colleagues.

I guess that we should work more on the bases of our attitude toward Islamic commitment.

If I decide that I want to fast in Ramadan then I should have my niyyah (intention) sincere for Allah. If my intention is satisfying Allah then I will definitely be ok with missing the fun for the sake of having Allah subhanahu wa taala satisfied with me. Even if every body around me are eating yummy foods, I would be more excited about me being in an action of warship between me and Allah. It would really not bother me that others are eating while I am fasting. When I want to wear hijab, I should know that I would be compromising a considerable part of my elegance for the sake of obeying Allah, and be happy. Even if I was the only one in the team's group photo with a headscarf and plain loose cothes while every one else are showing their flowing hair and slender figures in tight suits and elegant skirts. I should be totally OK with that. Because my target is of a much more value.



You know what I feel about those moments when I am obeying Allah while longing for the fun of alhayatu aldunya? I feel that I am a human on the outside but a jellyfish on the inside.

I do not know what is the relationship! May be because I feel that my inside is tender and sluggish, while I love to look at my inside as strong, firm and rooted deep enough.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, well, if it makes you feel any better, Middle Eastern Muslims have good company in the US Catholics..lol! In this area there are many and I have them as friends and family. During Lent they fast their 40 days and abstain from meat on Fridays during that time. There are also Protestants ( some groups do the Lenten fast, some don't) and people of other religions and no religion. One family of no particular faith always loved to barbecue on Fridays and the smell would fill the neighborhood. My Catholic relatives would say they were being " cruel to Catholics!" Finally I said, "Hey, they're not Catholic so it's okay they eat meat today. The Canon Law doesn't apply to them. Some day some other people will be fasting when you are stuffing your face. Aren't you supposed to be cheerful when you fast and show no outward sign? Complaining isn't part of the deal! It's for your spiritual benefit,isn't it...it's not meant to be a holier-than-thou thing." They growled a bit after that, but it stopped the complaining....mostly. ;-) At least around me! Lol! I'm getting tired in my old age...
    So if there is a line in the afterlife for people who complained during fasting.... the Muslims will have to take a number and stand at the back because Catholics have been around longer...:-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...
      Well, during fasting we do make some comments about how we miss food, and some people like to tease by sending pictures of yummy food, but that is some thing that we do for fun. And some times when we pass near a bakery or a restaurant and smell the food we do express our feelings about the smell, but in a comedy way. We do it with a light heart and forget it right after. It is not supposed to make any one bitter.

      But there are people who -because they are fasting- keep watching other people carefully to catch a glimpse of food or drink so that they can complain. Some of them complain because (they have feelings that are being hurt) and some because (these are Muslims and should fast -you know, the police style) and some claim that it is just because they have strong faith and do not want to see the holiness of the month violated.

      Now to the first group, get your screws tightened! If fasting makes you so sour like this take a month long vacation and stay at home and sleep all day. But if Allah asked you whether you fasted Ramadan or not on the day of judgement then I do not know what you will answer. You might find your answer today, but will you remember it in the day of judgement? I will leave it for you...

      For the second, then Allah has sent us as messengers, not as judges. So as long as the message is conveyed clearly for these people you should leave them alone.

      For the third, thank God that he does not need our effort to protect the holiness of his rituals. If people violate the rules of Ramadan that does not make it less holy. The holiness of Ramadan does not depend on how people look at it as holy. By harassing people who do not fast, by the way, Ramadan will not be holy for them, it will be heavy. Ramadan is holy regardless of people's perspective. If they embrace it it is for their own good. If they do not then its up to them.

      Ok. Bring your Catholic relatives let me lecture them Lol!...

      Delete
  2. PS what constitutes a ". Non-practicing Muslim...are they still considered Muslim?
    Also, what's up with the hijab and the skinny jeans and clingy fancy shirt?
    I saw that on the street down in town today. My son laughed..." Well, at least her head is covered but I can see just about everything else!"
    Seems to maybe be, as we say here in Civil Court " following the letter of the law but not the spirit of it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they sure are still Muslims. Islam is a faith and a practice. The worships or rituals are part of the practical side of Islam. If the hold on the Islamic beliefs but, for example, does not pray or fast, they are still Muslims.
      Well, the tight jeans and shirts with the head scarf are definitely not hijab. Hijab should not display the details of a woman's figure! But for some girls it is a step in the direction of hijab. When a non-hijabi comes to you wearing a headscarf and tells you with sincere happiness: "Congratulate me... I am a hijabi now!" You cannot turn her down :-)

      I know that for alot they take the first step and stop there. But it is still a first step. It is not hijab. Skinny jeans are at least better than leggings! :-|

      I have seen girls with tight leggings and a really tight blouse with a straps top over it, and a headscarf! :-|

      Delete
  3. Lol! Okay....I will send the Catholics to you for training...
    It's okay to joke about fasting in a cheerful way here, too.
    It's just when it turns into whining it bothers me.
    And you actually really aren't supposed to genuinely complain about it...it messes up the spiritual experience...obviously.
    Thanks for explaining the Muslim and hijab thing. I actually think these young ladies come from homes where they are rebelling against the rules....guess you have that there, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Complaining means that there is no reliable base. If faith is rooted deep enough you shoumd endure the hardshep with a sense of achievement. And even if one does not complain about fasting (or a certain practice) but is complaining about other people not comitting to it, it is the same thing :-)

      Well, yes, in some cases these girls are trying to rebel. And yes, we have them here. But I would never respect the attempt to rebel against an oppressing family for the sake of a feeling of lust for some guy that will be an even worse oppressor!
      Not all of them, ofcourse. I am not generalizing. But most of the ones I know here are like this!

      Delete