I expect this blog to be read by sisters only... So if you were a brother: "Indeed, I seek refuge in the Most Merciful from you, [so leave me], if you should be fearing of Allah " (Surah: Maryam, Ayah: 18)

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Allowed in My House - Anne of the Green Gables

My teenage years obsession! That's what Anne of the Green Gables once was...

I came across her in an Arabic-dubbed anime series. I was 16 or 17 years old. But she grabbed me like a magnet grabs steel.





I, soon, looked for the book in the public library and was able to find it. I read it. I just loved her more! And ended up ordering the DVDs of her three movies and watching them all!

The little pale white girl with red hair and wide grey eyes and a wide... wide... wide imagination... the sincere little girl that always feels too much... loves too much... hates too much... is happy too much... is sad too much... and whose imagination takes her to very far limits.... and whose frequent mistakes always put her in awkward situations...



She is polite. Disciplined. The wrong and right concepts are there in the story. Good and evil (although there is no real evil in the story!). The story shows the concepts of what is (right) in a great way. It is full of beauty. The beauty of sacrifice, the beauty of the little girl leaving her touch on the two old brother and sister who have never dealt with children before... The innocence of that girl... the beautiful innocent love story between her and Gilbert Blythe... It opens the doors to a world that exists only in our imagination and memories, but that we will need to keep access to it... to a world of beauty...



Well, I used to think that "Anne Shirley" was the obsession that I will leave as a heritage for my future girls. But now that I have a boy, I guess that I am still leaving that heritage for him. I want him to be impressed with this model of girls. Because when Anne grew up she did not turn into a materialistic girl. besides, she is not a model, and she is not a girl obsessed with looking as fashionable as possible. She is content about how she looks and that makes her more beautiful. Anne is not a girl that you love because of he physical appeal, but if you love her, you will do sincerely. I really hope that Anne Shirley will help baby Leo to find his future soul mate one day, inshaAllah!

So, welcome home, dear Anne.... :-)

4 comments:

  1. I too love Anne of Green Gables. I've read the books and watched the movies, although the last one was a disappointment (they changed everything and the story didn't make sense). Have you seen the 'Road to Avonlea'? It's a mini series for children based on Anne of Green Gables (and yes I've watched them all).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes, I have to admit that the first and the second wer way better. But I forgave them for -for example- the fact that Megan follows and Jonathan Crombie played the same characcters in all the three movies was just awesome! As if we watched the real Anne and Gil grow up! :-)
      Oh, the Road to Avonlea! Sure I remember it... I saw it years before I was introduced to Anne. At the time it was an obsession :-)
      And there was another Sullivan Entertainment obsession in our house: Wind at my Back. This one even my dad shared in it :-D we still have vcr tapes with episodes that he recorded :-D

      Delete
    2. I haven't heard of Wind at My Back - have to look it up.

      Delete