So some time ago, I used to have a Facebook account, and then I closed it because I could not take any more.
Recently, and once baby Leo started going to the daycare, I found myself forced to start another Facebook account in order to follow the daycare's Facebook page, the one and only place to follow up on your child at school or at daycare (oh, yes... this is the trend here!).
I only added two of my sister. And ended up having 27 friends so far! Because, well, if some one adds you on Facebook and you do not accept them, this is a reason for hearts to break and for wars to be waged, right?
And through these 27 friends, and since Facebook's stalking nature voluntarily tells you every single tiny click your friends think of making, I have been looking at what my friends are "liking" and what comments they ever post on things out there.
And what I am seeing is driving me CRAZY!
"The spots on this cow spell the name of Allah... press like and comment "subhanAllah"" (Photoshop!)
"A miracle! Allahu-Akbar! This Brazilian Bee's venom cures cancer, but the west is hiding this information because they do not want us to be cured from Cancer! Share this information so that Muslims know what is the cure!" (Because if I have cancer I will travel to Brazil and chase this bee, and once I catch a hive of them I will bring them back home, open my lab and extract the venom!)
"The guy reading Al Fatiha in this video is an American convert who used to be a rock singer, but after he converted and started reciting Quraan production companies closed their doors in his face... Press like and comment "AllahuAkbar" to show that you support him!" (And he turned to be a born Muslim Bosnean guy who was never a rock star and never approached a production company to record his recitations!)
"Do you know that Valentine's day is dedicated to celebrate saint Valentino, a saint who has committed adultery with the emperor's daughter (and in another narration all of the women in the emperor's castle!) and so the emperor has executed him? And the tradition of celebrating this adulterer has started among his lovers... Press like and share if you are against adultery!" (Do I need to say what was Saint. Valentino's story?)
This is making me sick!
I am tired of telling people that:
- Facebook and social media are not sources of information
- Before you post any information, for the love of God, do a quick search in the internet!
- When you spread lame information and make it part of people's "Iman" to celebrate them, you are stabbing Islam in the back!
- Most of the fake information that you read on Facebook and social media are either fabrications, or exaggerations driven by stupid emotions
- Usually, the drive behind these stuff is the "We are the victim Muslim nation voice". If you believe you are a victim them fight through quality knowledge, not through b******t! This only makes you a victim that deserves to remain a victim FOREVER!
- Please, please, please... If you love Allah and your deen be clever... be knowledgeable... do not use easy accessed information to learn... do not spread crappy knowledge that is worth NOTHING... If you really want to learn about a certain issue DO SOME EFFORT! I am not asking you to grab a book and read (that will break your back, I know, and you will die of exhaustion), but please, do a quick internet search, and try -TRY, FOR GOD'S SAKE!- to have a sense for authentic websites.
- If all of the above is about an information about Islam then please... please... please... the Ummah is lost already and is drowning in bad Islamic knowledge... do not spread more of this harmful knowledge...
Please.... If you love God... Please...

Some of the things are a little odd and to be quite frank scary!!!
ReplyDeleteWe have to do our research!
*shaking my head*
We definitely should!
DeleteI am not really sure if this is the case among convert Muslims, but I am guessing it is not. Converts have -most probably- converted because they have done extensive research. The minds of converts are usually research oriented by nature.
But I cannot guess what could the effect exerted by others be!
So true, you can't believe all that you read on the internet!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely not! Thank you for reading Jamilati :-)
DeleteThank goodness for Snopes. It's pretty good.
ReplyDeleteYes, sure it is. When we use it, though! LOL
Delete