I expect this blog to be read by sisters only... So if you were a brother: "Indeed, I seek refuge in the Most Merciful from you, [so leave me], if you should be fearing of Allah " (Surah: Maryam, Ayah: 18)

Monday, April 11, 2016

Mixing Politics and Religion

Well, I should admit that I grew up a little radical.

In my young school age, I used to think that we, as Muslims, can only be loyal to our countries if they were Islamic states, that is, if they were based on Sharia law. Well, my imagination of that used to be a head of the state that is called "khaliefah / Caliphate" and whom we know as "ameerul- Mumineen / The prince of the believers". Where people speak Fus-ha Arabic, and recite Quraan in weddings, and where all men are bearded and in thobes and all women are wrapped in black from head to toe.

At that time, the Baathist party in Iraq and Syria was an enemy. And the Islamists used to feast on stories about Saddam Hussein and, then, Hafiz Alassad oppressing and persecuting Islamists.

Fast forward, today I read a news piece that mentions a statement made by "the director general of the national Islamic front, the official spokesperson of the Baath party"!!!

Nowadays, Islamists feel very ok to have the official spokesperson of the Baath party as their director general! The Baath party, whose leader once said in a documented speech: "Who said that drinking wine is halal or haraam? What is good for the Baath party is halal... what is bad for Baath party is haraam... that's it!"

See what happens to people's brains when they mix politics and religion? 


3 comments:

  1. So much in Arabic politics I don't understand or even know about. It seems SO complicated!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better for your sanity and your mental and spiritual health, believe me! :-)

      Delete
  2. Haha I can imagine!!!

    ReplyDelete