I expect this blog to be read by sisters only... So if you were a brother: "Indeed, I seek refuge in the Most Merciful from you, [so leave me], if you should be fearing of Allah " (Surah: Maryam, Ayah: 18)

Sunday, September 13, 2015

On the Lion and Cats... Again!

So in my previous post, I might have sounded so biased against polygamy. Polygyny, to be more specific.

But that was not my point. I do acknowledge polygyny in Islam and is in no place to suggest that it does not exist.

Because first, regardless of being mentioned under conditions, it WAS mentioned in the Holy Quraan. And it was mentioned in the hadiths and narrations.

And second, whether we like it or not, let's face this reality: Islam, as we believe in it, was the final heavenly legislation to be revealed for human. So it should be designed to contain the worst case scenario. That is the simplest principle of design that should be taken into consideration of one want to plan some thing sustainable. Allah subhanahu wa taala is the God of the science of design, so that knowledge should be based on his knowledge and not go outside of its realm.



So Islam is not designed for the elite only. Islam is a religion for humanity, including the rich and the poor, the educated and illiterate. Islam is also for all times, for times of distress and for times of luxury.

Therefore, it should have contained certain legislation to contain those low points of the life of Muslim communities. From this logic we can understand and accept the existence of polygyny.

A woman, for example, might find herself responsible for a husband and children that she cannot afford to be their mother and wife efficiently, may be because of a certain sickness or something. Judging by looking at my own self, I can imagine that if I was diagnosed with Cancer, God forbids, and was under chemo therapy, I might suggest to my husband that he gets another wife during my life. Now put aside the fact that judging from the quality of most of the women in our surrounding community -sigh!- it will be a mission impossible, but finding a loving and understanding co-wife that shares us the house hold and has my children used to her and loving her will allow me to die in peace. It would -definitely- be better than having them get attached to their father's girl friend, for example! Or having to deal with accepting the loss of the mother and getting used to the new woman at the same time!

Also, I am thinking of times of war. We have seen that first hand during the Chechen war. The male population went down to less than a half! That left the Chechen community with an overwhelming majority of females. Now due to the pride of the Chechen women, alot of them did not accept to see themselves as co-wives. So they managed to replace their lost husbands and play the role of the woman and the man of the house. Alot of them did well, but they paid the toll from their health and quality of life. Also, the overall population of Chechen people went down, because of the drop down in the number of couples who can re-produce. Due to the nature of the human re-production process, that gap could have been bridged -even if alittle- through some men getting married to more than one wife. But most of them did not even try. I am not saying it was wrong. I am just suggesting that the aftermath of the war could have been made easier through polygyny.

That was just to say that I do appreciate polygyny when it comes in its wise context.

I am only against men using it as an absolute right.

Yes, I am a hard core feminist. But I am a committed Muslim as well.

And I do believe that these two can coexist :-)

13 comments:

  1. Here it is illegal, so I assume it would be an interesting clash between the two ideas of polygyny being allowed in religion and following the law of the land you are in. Our legal and social system isn't set up to deal with it, so a Muslim man, like every other man here, will have to make do with one wife at a time if he follows the law.
    I personally find the ways people see marriage through their interpretation of scriptures as interesting. Happens in different faiths, too.
    . As for Muslims, some of the Iranian students here at the college seem to think the Quran allows them to get married for a couple of hours. Now, the Western women they try to convince to do this find it offensive or amusing and tell them to clear off. But apparently it's a thing in Iran.
    They were complaining online about how " Westerners aren't holy enough" to understand the concept and it was okay because it involved a gift and a holy marriage contract, but they were countered by an Iranian-American Muslim from this region who sarcastically said
    " oh, yeah, a ' holy contract' for ten minutes duration that you give her a couple of dollars for....can't imagine how any westerner could even THINK that sounds like prostitution."
    To which they said he wasn't very spiritual either to not approve of it.
    To which he said if any of them came near HIS daughters " with any of that nonsense I will shoot you".
    All this being played out in front of the eyes of surprised Americans.
    To them,I guess it's a way to keep themselves from sinning...although I think the local women have suggested they learn about very cold showers...or that the ocean is right there and it has the Alaska current...go dip themselves in that. They aren't making themselves very popular. If they keep it up they will be cited for sexual harassment and sent home. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, a Muslim should be a law abiding citizen (not Gerard Butler's version of that, though!). A Muslims living in a country that does not allow polygyny should not practice polygyny. Period.
      My point was that Allah subhanahyu wa taala has given us a legislation that should suit the nation even in its lowest point and absorb the shortcomings and complications of situations like war, for example. People should understand that some of regulations have been put for special cases, and not consume them in the time of luxury.
      But some one who wants to re-marry because he can afford to? Come on! Help a young man struggling with mortgages to get married instead of stacking wives in your harem!
      And that couple of hours marriage contract is not convincing at all. It's name translates into "enjoyment marriage" and it is haraam in Islam. Very few scholars are trying to twist scriptures to rationalize it. But it is plain clear that it is actually "Prostitution through a contract".
      If these guys are so defeated by their lust, they should prioritize what is important. If they are so vulnerable in the face of their sexual drive then studying is not a pressing priority for them. Let them stay home in their countries and get married! If they are so interested in studying they can come with their families. But running after western girls trying to get them laid with a silly contract? That is offensive! I am really hoping that these girls will continue to turn them down!
      The image that I hate most is a man under the control of his sexual drive running around looking for a woman to save him from sinning!
      And they make of themselves a show in front of non-Muslims!
      And they blame the western people for accusing them of being so sex-oriented!

      And that Iranian American Muslim is hilarious! looooool

      Dads are dads, after all :-D

      Delete
    2. I think your vision of polygyny seems to be what Western Muslims are adopting from what my daughter says. Worst case scenario. And possibly archaic.

      Delete
    3. When I look at it this way I not only accept it, I appreciete it, too :-)

      Delete
    4. Would it be bad to point out that your lion has one too many wives? ^

      Delete
    5. Lol
      Its only one wife trying to find her balance between too many extremes :-D

      Delete
  2. Lol...looking back on it.
    They said he wasn't very spiritual because that form of marriage was ordained by God.

    He told them if they came at his daughters with that nonsense he would shoot them and send them to God to work it out....lol!

    Dads.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being friends with Muslims is complicated by the death threats....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmm... death threats? By Muslims or targeting Muslims? Or targeting people for being friends of Muslims?

      Delete
    2. Targeting Muslims...and maybe their friends. Like your daughter.

      Delete
    3. The world is becoming an uglier place!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you too, my tribal, native American, genuine, dedicated and humble friend whose name I do not know :-)

      Delete