So as a beginning, let me admit that I am a person that respects every ethnicity, every culture, every race and every color. I love my own culture and I love every one else's cultures. As much as I like to get to know my own people's customs and traditions, and explore mythology and legends, and whatever aspects related to my own culture, I love to explore other people's cultures as well. I just LOVE the scene of little children dressed in their nations' folklore clothes.
I never made nationality or culture a barrier preventing me from making friends. I have Arab friends, Russian, Taiwanese, American, Italian, Kurd, Turkish, Chechen.... whatever the nationality or ethnicity is, if a person is easy going and wouldn't mind being my friend, I do not mind as well.
EXCEPT!...
When it comes to marriage. Specially when Islam comes into the image. From my own perspective, I was only exposed to the situation when I was asked for marriage by Arab men. And I never was ok with that. I -in many cases- refused offers for the sole reason of the proposer not being Circassian.
Not out of arrogance. And not because I look down at other races. But for several other reasons.
First of all, I belong to a small Muslim nation that is scattered around the world. Circassians originally are from the Caucasus mountains, but their lands were always wanted by the Russian empire. After more than a hundred years of war, they were convinced -after they willingly embraced Islam, eventually, as a whole nation- that their land is a land of Kufr, and in order to be good Muslims they should live in the land of the Sultan, the Khalifa of Allah on earth. Long story short, we ended up as minorities: as immigrants (or refugees?) in diaspora, or as indigenous peoples in our homeland. Today, in the age of globalization, our culture is in danger of extinction. One of our family of languages (Ubeikh language) has already died with the death of the last old woman who spoke it. Now, the Ubeikh language exists only as written texts that no one knows what are the grammar rules used to interpret them! So my nation is gradually melting away. My culture is dying. My people's language is, too.
And for some reason, a good amount of Circassian men who are religiously committed do not look for brides among Circassians. They want girls who are 'Muslim enough'. And for some reason they are convinced that marrying a good Muslim non-Circassian girl makes them closer to Allah. So the traces of our nations are being lost among other nations. And those who remain inside, are people who are not appealing enough to the outside world, so they have no other option except to look for their other halves inside the Circassian community. So knowing that I am trying my best to be a good Muslim, and I am one of a good education (alhamdulellah), and I do feel that I can raise children of good quality, I feel that my nation has an obligation over me: to offer well bred Circassian youth.
Second, when Islam comes into the picture, some how Arab culture is dragged along without much distinguishing between the two. Alot of aspects of the Arab culture are presented to the non-Arab world as (Islamic). Like, for example, assuming that hijab means Abaya or Jilbab or Thobe. Which is never correct. Hijab means covering your whole body except for the face and hands with loose clothes that are not transparent, that are not masculine nor perfumed. So a loose Circassian dress with a Circassian hat and scarf that well covers what needs to be covered is NEVER less of a hijab than a black abaya or a Palestinian embroidered thobe! And I would never accept that some one would impose his culture over me in the name of Islam! Because, then, my nation also is a Muslim nation. Why wouldn't my nation's theme be considered the theme of Islam? Or is it just because we are a small nation? Why wouldn't we call Circassian art and Circassian decorations Islamic art or decorations as the case is with Arabs?
The names are another story. When I have children, as a Circassian, I want to give them Circassian names. I want to be able to name my girls Sina or Sinamees or Jan, and my boys Aslan or Janty or Kaplan, without some one objecting on that because "it is better to give them Islamic names", meaning by that Arab names! Naming children after the prophets and the sahaba is great, and I am sure is rewarded by Allah subhanahu wa taala, but these are not the only options available! Even in the days of the prophet, Salla Allah Aleih wa Sallam, the sahaba were free choosing names for their children, there was no "Islamic" names, there was only names that are not liked by Allah, like "Burrah" and "Malik al Amlak" and many other names. So naming after the prophet salla Allah aleih wa Sallam or the sahaba is not even sunnah, let alone sticking to Arab names!
So these are two simple reasons why I always refused to get married to a non-Circassian. I have more reasons, but the post is ling already :-)
Now is cross-cultural marriage as a whole bad?
I would say not always.
If a cross-cultural marriage is based on the understanding of the two culture, and the understanding of Islam as something independent of two cultures, then it is totally OK and is totally fine.
BUT!
If cross-cultural marriage is motivated by the sincere emotions of one part feeling that marrying the other part will make him or her "more Muslim", then I would not recommend. The part who feels he or she originates from a less-Muslim culture will eventually feel deprived from a huge part of his or her identity, while sticking to the other part's culture is not making him any better as a Muslim. Also, when the part driven by emotion sees the other "more Muslim" part on reality, and sees how his or her culture translates on ground, he or she might be seriously disappointed, specially after the emotional motive calms down and the flames fade away.
That was a quick brainstorming about the issue.
Fell free to tell me what you think!

Oooooh excellent topic ma sha Allah,
ReplyDeleteBoth hubby and I are Jamaican and reverts ma sha Allah.
I agree it could be easier marrying a "arab/raised muslim" but alhamdulilah i like that we are from the same place as a revert atleast I don't have cultur to worry about as well as deen.
And oh my goodness im so sorry I assumed (one must never assume) that you was a revert because of your blog name so on and so forth
So are you a raised muslim?
SubhanAllah ukhty i re-read it out lound to my hubby and subhanAllah i took it in AGAIN ..also im sorry about your culture dying out...
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post
You are apologizing for assuming that I am a revert?
DeleteI would have been honored to be!
I have been born and raised a Muslim, but who knows? If I was not born a Muslim, would I have the courage to make the decision of reverting? Allahu aalam!
Jamaicans you said? The happiest people :-) In my old work our British equipment providers used to send us technical support teams. One of the technicians was Jamaican, a huge (mashaAllah) man with grey hair, and always happy! He was always walking in the corridors whistling and singing, and he was always smiling...
Marrying a born Muslim from your own culture may be would be easy. But a born-Muslim from another culture? Depends....
But I really like how you and your hubby are both Jamaican and are both reverts! MashaAllah... As I read that line I had the feeling of two strangers meeting in an oasis in the middle of the desert, subhan Allah!
You should check into the language recovery programs many of the natives here are using trying to revitalize their languages and dialects. The Circassians deserve their language and culture back. Can happen.
ReplyDeleteWell, I hope it can happen. Two days ago I was in a discussion with a friend about cultural issues of our society. I still have the pain in my heart. It seems like our culture is falling between the cracks of globalization and re-identification. The larger cultures are eating up smaller cultures. The youth looking for a form of identity with some sort of leverage are trying to attach themselves to larger cultures. They are either wiping away their culture in order to become more "globalized" and join the flow of silliness and consumer culture, or are becoming more of "Arabs" when they try to be parts of the "Ummah" due to the politically manipulated Islam in the middle east.
DeleteIn ten years, Circassian will only refer to a form of music and dancing, and specific body features.
Well, I'm not Muslim but one of my best friends is Albanian. She could probably totally relate to you. She has blonde hair and blue eyes and her family has been Muslim for hundreds of years...but other Muslims in the US ( most around here from the Middle East and South Asia)often think she has to be a convert. She jokes that it is hard enough explaining to non-Muslims that Islam is a religion, not a race, but it seems like some Muslims have the same idea! Lol! ;-)
DeleteI hear you! But please don't give up! Our youth 30 years ago were doing the same thing...all trying to be like big tribes or ones that the dominant culture " liked". Only a few families kept to the original. But that was a seed. The other peoples ways didn't satisfy them. Now there are language classes, cultural revitalization, our canoe culture is up and running again, and the youth are back in traditional regalia in the dances. :-) turns out one of the best things for the kids was pride and participation in their culture and identity.
ReplyDeletehmmm... the cultural cause...
DeleteI do have a feeling we are on the same page...
May I ask you where are you from and what is your cultural background?
I am really always interested to get to know other cultures, specially the less-known cultures that are usually omitted by the main stream media!
My family is First Nation people of a tribe on the west coast of North America.
ReplyDelete:-)
DeleteMashaAllah... the first time I get to know some one from an aboriginal North American origin :-)
Welcome to my humble place, sister...
Keep visiting :-)
Kaykinash. Well, I learned what " Circassian" meant way back when I was young and one of the dances done for Physical Education was called the " Circassian Circle". Wondered what/who in the world a Circassian was. Had to go look you up in books because that was before personal computers. Then there were the protests recently at Sochi. Can relate to that. But you are the first one I've ever " talked to" as well.
ReplyDeleteWell, I am smiling with relief as I read your comment :-)
DeleteBack when we tried to start the protests, the debate between the youth and the elderly was: the elders used to tell us that these protests mean nothing, and will do nothing more than causing us political probpems in the countries we are living in. Our argument was that we do not aim at stopping the olympics by Russia, but to use the olympics to generate worldwide awareness towards our cause. And today a lady from across the globe who stumbled upon my blog is telling me that she is aware of our cause although she never actually met with someone!
Now I feel that our efforts did not go for nothing! :-)
I just noticed ,looking for a video,that tomorrow ( today in some parts of the world) is marking a sad time for you. I'm very sorry. I suppose this is still appropriate. These are American Circassians.
ReplyDeletehttp://youtu.be/3TBXtigccYo
Correct. The May 21st is marked as the Circassian Mourning Day. It is the symbolic date in which Circassians revive the memory of the genocide that was committed towards their ancestors.
Delete"In a diverse world, the destruction of cultures is a crime, and uniformity is a dead-end: our aim must be to enhance, in one movement, the diversity that enriches us and the human rights that bring us together."
ReplyDeleteIrina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO
I really respect whoever looks at it this way. The death of a culture, or even a cultural monument, is as painful as a death of a human being.
Delete