So this post was meant to be about my experience about learning to swim during my two weeks leave from work after Eid...
I began writing and left it as a draft for some time... I meant to make it about how Sunday, July 2nd, was my first time ever to enter a pool, and that I did not find it bad. And that I, actually, was able to hold my nose and jump into the 220 cm deep side of the pool, and start treading water once I surfaced...
But last Monday was meant to be my fourth (or fifth?) swimming lesson... And I spent the whole previous day barely capable of breathing because of the stress caused by the fact that I was going to the pool next day, and that I woke up next day with the feeling that a rope was pressing around my chest, and that, once I was inside the pool, I could not even FLOAT without my hands releasing the edge of the pool!
Yes, I panicked whenever I let go of the steady ground... each time I felt I was floating freely I would hit the floor of the pool with my feet and stand up... After a couple of times of forcing myself to float, I tried doing a couple of strokes... I felt that I was dizzy and that water was about to swallow me. Again, I stood up!
I, then, told the coach that I was not ready to continue at that time. I told her that this would be my last lesson for now, and that I will not come again for another lesson.
I have been feeling bitter for a couple of days. This is the first time my fear beats me. I have always had minor fears, just like every one. But I never surrendered to them. This time I did. Not to mention the couple of weakness points that my experience within the pool have revealed.
I should take better care of myself and my life.
But regarding my fear, is it time to see a specialist?
I began writing and left it as a draft for some time... I meant to make it about how Sunday, July 2nd, was my first time ever to enter a pool, and that I did not find it bad. And that I, actually, was able to hold my nose and jump into the 220 cm deep side of the pool, and start treading water once I surfaced...
But last Monday was meant to be my fourth (or fifth?) swimming lesson... And I spent the whole previous day barely capable of breathing because of the stress caused by the fact that I was going to the pool next day, and that I woke up next day with the feeling that a rope was pressing around my chest, and that, once I was inside the pool, I could not even FLOAT without my hands releasing the edge of the pool!
Yes, I panicked whenever I let go of the steady ground... each time I felt I was floating freely I would hit the floor of the pool with my feet and stand up... After a couple of times of forcing myself to float, I tried doing a couple of strokes... I felt that I was dizzy and that water was about to swallow me. Again, I stood up!
I, then, told the coach that I was not ready to continue at that time. I told her that this would be my last lesson for now, and that I will not come again for another lesson.
I have been feeling bitter for a couple of days. This is the first time my fear beats me. I have always had minor fears, just like every one. But I never surrendered to them. This time I did. Not to mention the couple of weakness points that my experience within the pool have revealed.
I should take better care of myself and my life.
But regarding my fear, is it time to see a specialist?
No you're fine. A lot of people have a fear of water. To float, you need to relax, lay down and tip your head back a bit so that your ears are in the water. Also you need to push your hips up so your legs will stay up. InshaAllah try this next time.
ReplyDelete