In my current work, I have dealt with different types of people... from all backgrounds, be it religious, cultural, geographical... etc...
But there is some thing that I find myself forced to admit: American people have a beautiful characteristic in them: they are easy to approach...
It could be that the ones I am dealing with are a special case because their manners have been "refined" through working in the international context, but still, among all of the nationalities I have dealt with, I found them the easiest to approach and to deal with.
The other day we had a high profile delegation from Homeland Security and the Digital Services. We expected to see men in suits and fine sunglasses barely smiling, but the people who we really met were a thin quiet smiling lady wearing a very simple pair of leggings with a poncho, with her hair simply tied in a ponytail, and two guys who seem to be fresh graduates, a man who -apparently- is a loving father of beautiful little girl, and another man who looks similar to him, and a tanned man who looks very quite and warm hearted. They all dressed in casual pants and shirts, they all were very humble and easy going, I was supposed to give a presentation on our live data system, but when the system did not work on the meeting room's laptop they simply suggested moving to the actual office of one of the employees that does the work :-)
They went to our not-fancy-at-all cubicles room, and gathered around my friend's cubicle, and watched her working. They were so easy to deal with to the extent that my friend -without further notice or preparation- just did what she does every day in front of them, and they thanked her with a smile, and then went to another department to continue their tour.
The exciting thing is that one of these guys, a guy that looks like a fresh graduate cool nerd, is the one who designed the communications system of the white house!
Here in Jordan, if some one works as a driver of some one who works in the royal court, he will make sure to talk to you as if you are "nothing" and make you know that he "has connections in the royal court"!
I am not saying that the white house is a holy place, or that the Americans have not done any wrongdoings in their history (Hello! To whom does America belong? Count day 1 of history!)... I am just saying that may be this by-product of being a citizen of the world's number one great power, is worth mentioning!

It's nice when people can live up to/clear up expectations/misconceptions people may have about their grou and be a example for where they're from.
ReplyDeleteSure it is :-)
DeleteNot having a "royal court" helps,too. Lol. The President is always temporary.
ReplyDeleteLOL
DeleteIt sure works!
I wish you were a blogger :-D