I expect this blog to be read by sisters only... So if you were a brother: "Indeed, I seek refuge in the Most Merciful from you, [so leave me], if you should be fearing of Allah " (Surah: Maryam, Ayah: 18)

Monday, June 1, 2015

Another Brick in The Wall

Now, we are in a (music is conditionally OK) phase. We listen to music, but provided that we do not obsess about it. Yesterday as we were driving back from work, Papa Lion decided that he will let me listen to some of the tracks he used to listen to in the past (you know, that teenage music that is attached in your mind to specific phases in your life and that take you back in memories to that time when you listen to). So he started running them one after the other.Then we reached a track when hubby laughed and said "you will not like this one"

I asked: "Why?"

"Because you are a NERD..." he answered.

And then I heard guys screaming "Hey... teacher... leave them kids alone"...

I did not get it at first, and said "Oooooh my God... do not you ever let me see baby Leo listening to such a thing!" and we laughed together...

Then I realized it was Pink Floyd's "another brick in the wall"...



And I thought to myself: "oooo... wait... well, I want my son to study and work hard. I want him disciplined. I want him committed. I want him to know that there are Islamic rules that he MUST follow. I want him to respect the law and be a LAW ABIDING CITIZEN (not in Gerad Butler's way, though!)...

But I do not want him brainwashed. I do not want him boxed. I do not want Islamic extremism to own him. I do not want him to be boxed inside a certain educational system. I do not want his brain not functioning. I want him to think, ask, question... and look for the truth!

And yes, I do not want him to be another brick in the wall!

12 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, when they get to a certain age, it's up to them what they follow. I've been happy with my kids most of the time so far. I had to laugh when my daughter-in-law told me that when she had decided on my oldest son she " checked us out with everyone" and got back the info..." Good family, very traditional" and went forward with the relationship. (This made me laugh because I think we are some of the ones that question the way forward regarding living those those traditions in the contemporary sense the most). Told him he could see her parents about her. But we've always been the family to debate politics , history, and spirituality around the table. I want my kids to know the intellectual and practical underpinnings to their traditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know...
      At some point they will have to spread their wings and fly away to pursue their own paths...
      I am very OK with that, as long as my son is sincerely looking for the truth. I do not mind what paths he would take or in what weird curves he will fall, as long as his target is the truth. I want him a free soul trying to be in touch with the sky. I never want to see him as a one more sheep in the fleck!
      I will be always happy to discuss every thing with him. EVERY THING.
      The time to instill what I look forward to instill is his early years. But after that I will let him fly. If he absorbs what I sincerely would give him I will be happy. If not, I will also be happy, and will love him no matter what.
      I really hope I will be able to do.

      Delete
    2. I think it is vitally important for children to feel they can discuss anything with their parents. The parents are the first and most important teachers of the child and if the child feels safe and respected in the home environment it goes a long way to developing a healthy view of themselves and the world. Leo is very blessed to have such parents.

      Delete
    3. Exactly. I never want him to be scared to discuss anything. I do not also want him to feel trapped if he ever discussed some thing that I do not like and then got "punished" for speaking out his mind. To me, insisting on reminding him of his point of view over and over and trying at every chance to prove that it was wrong is a sort of punishment.

      I really hope that we will be good parents for Leo! :-) I hope you are right!

      I bet your children are also feeling loved, understood, contained and supported :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh subhanAllah you always get your point across in such a way.

    And yes we have to admit where we go wrong in he ummah sometimes.....islam is perfect muslims are not all the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. :-D
      hahaha I will take that as a complement ;-)

      Yes, we are not perfect. And I do not want my son to pay the price of any one's imperfections. I do not want the imperfections of nations or Ulamaa to be taught to him as "Islam" so that he would carry them as a burden over his shoulders and then when he stands between the hands of Allah be questioned why he did not use his mind...

      Allah subhanahu wa taala always urges us to use our minds. Therefore, if we don't, we will be asked about that on the day of judgement!

      Delete
    3. Well, that is a refreshing attitude :-)

      Delete
    4. We're having really intersting discussions over here on the Internet challenging some American's views of "Islam" after the fiasco at the Phoenix Islamic Center last weekend. What an embarrassment for the whole nation. Glad so many citizens stood up to the haters.

      Delete
    5. hmmm... I never heard of that... I am googling it now! :-)

      Delete
  3. Guess I am glad you did not hear of it. Plenty of people did.

    ReplyDelete