I expect this blog to be read by sisters only... So if you were a brother: "Indeed, I seek refuge in the Most Merciful from you, [so leave me], if you should be fearing of Allah " (Surah: Maryam, Ayah: 18)

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

InshaAllah...

Once a little kid was asking his parent for some thing, and they were in a long debate on whether his father will accept to do it for the child or not. After along quarrel, and back and forth argument, the father seemed to be alittle more lenient. The child finally asked while excited: "Really? Are you going to do it?"

The father answered: "InshaAllah, son... InshaAllah"...



The little school child looked disappointed and went to his room with teary eyes. The father was surprised! He went after his son ans asked: "What's up son? Why did you become sad after I said yes?"

"You did not say yes" the little boy answered "You said inshaAllah, and this means that you do not want to do it!"

That was a story that some one told me. Actually not only one. Several times I saw children looking disappointed when their parents say "InshaAllah" and murmuring while they go away "means no".

You know what the problem is? This is exact opposite of the original use of the term "InshaAllah"!

InshaAllah means: if Allah is welling (to let some thing happen).

Allah subhanahu wa taala says in the holy Quraan, in Surah Al Kahf:

23. “And do not say, regarding anything, ‘I will do that tomorrow,’”
24. “Save (say): ‘If Allah pleases’, and remember your Lord when you forget, and say: ‘It may be that my Lord will guide me to a nearer way to the right than this’.”

 So we -actually- are supposed to say inshaAllah specially when we say that we are determined to do something. It is a reminder to us that our own well is not final, and it is conditioned with the well of Allah, since Allah subhanahu wa taala is the all knowing, the all welling.



In the Arab world, people are used to say "inshaAllah" in order to give themselves the space not to do something. It is used as an indirect way of saying: "I am not welling to do". People tell you "InshaAllah" to stop you from arguing more. The next day when you ask them, they get back to you: "I never said yes" or "I could not" or "The circumstances did not allow".

You know what the funny thing is?

I have noticed that alot of the expats that I worked with have got used to it. They use it in the correct sense of the word! They use it either when they are so determined to do something, or when they are saying that they hope for some thing out of their control to be in a certain way!

It is so sad! That we have abused the use of a great word that should actually re-affirm our submission to Allah over and over!

I have promised myself: whenever I tell my son "inshaAllah" for some thing, I will fight for it to happen, unless it is very clear that Allah subhanahu wa taala did not want it to happen. I want my son to know that "inshaAllah" means only "inshaAllah". Not "ummm... actually no but I do not want to pronounce the "no" in front of you soooooo... inshaAllah!"


6 comments:

  1. I'm BACK you're BACK!!!

    (Not that you was away)

    I caught up on most your post since I've been back i am sorry to hear about your sister but Alhamdulilah Baby is doing much better and I pray she is still going strong Ameen

    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D
      I am becoming away for long pauses, actually... at work I am taking my manager's place until she is back from her extended sick leave. At home my little one is -mashaAllah- EXTREMELY ACTIVE and SUPER FAST! :-|
      So I should keep running after him because the minute I close my eyes to blink he is next to an electricity plug or pulling something over his head! :-|

      The baby is doing great, alhamdulellah... even her pediatrician told her parents that she is exceeding his expectations, specially when he thinks of her brain's situation at birth!
      So Alhamdulellah!

      Delete
  2. This is good for you it must mean the see something in you ma sha Allah.

    But we hope she's well soon too.

    Yes loool what is the obsession with thing that are it for their little hands tut tut tut!!!

    Alhamdulilah happy to hear Baby is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alhamdulellah :-)
      Really glad that you are back :-)

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean. All the Muslims here say it to mean "No but if by a miracle something happens that it becomes yes then you can have it". So when the adults say inshaAllah the kids straightaway thinks it's no. This happened to me too. My son asked me something and I said insha Allah. The next time I asked him "well didn't you want it?" He said, "I thought you said no." o_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad!
      And knowing that this use of the word has reached even Australia.... Ugh... Double sad!
      Let us try to cange it! :-(
      I decided to be always clear... If no I will say no... If not enthusiastic I will say "I do not like it alot but let me rethink it and see if I can change my mind"... And only if I am certain that my answer is yes I will happily say "yes, inshaAllah" and do my best to make it happen!

      Delete