I expect this blog to be read by sisters only... So if you were a brother: "Indeed, I seek refuge in the Most Merciful from you, [so leave me], if you should be fearing of Allah " (Surah: Maryam, Ayah: 18)

Monday, October 12, 2015

A Typical Bride Hunt in the ME...

Four months ago, she told me that she got engaged. I asked her how things are going, she said fine. I asked her: are you happy? she -without any enthusiasm- answered: "yes". Do you like him? I asked. With a very quite smile she answered "He is tolerable". At that time, they still had no official marriage contract, only "alfatiha".

A couple of weeks later I met her while I was waiting for my husband to pick me up from work. We had a quick chat until my hubby arrived. I asked her how things are going with her fiance, she said fine. But I saw in her eyes that she was worried. I asked her if there is anything that is really pressing on her mind, she said that it was the normal anxiety of an engaged lady. I told her that she was supposed to be happy, or at least have mixed feelings, but not be fully worried. She admitted that she was concerned because her fiance is some what showing a change from his attitudes at the time of getting to know one another. I told her that we can sit together and have a thorough talk if she wants. She said that she would be grateful if we talked. I said to her: "Inform me whenever you are free". And she left.

I saw her today. I asked her: "How are things going on? When are you planning to have the wedding?"

Her answer was shocking, but at the same time familiar as I am hearing of similar cases alot these days: "We separated. I initiated a Khula'".



In the details, she explained that he and his family are known to be a very good family with a very good reputation and of reasonable financial resources. Before the official contract was signed, she felt that he was doing all what he could to understand her and find a middle ground between him and her, and he made her feel that he wants to overcome any issues between them through mutual understanding. After the contract, he started asking her more about her work, her salary and if she is working under a long term contract or a temporary one, and eventually he informed her that she will have to pay half of her salary for house expenses! For four months, he did not seem to have any future plans. He did not suggest any residence plans, neither did he suggest to rent a house or buy one. No furnishing. No plans for the wedding. Turned out that he was hoping that she will initiate the plan and may be funding it. At the beginning, he started to tell her that he is a man of limited resources, and that he will need her to cooperate with him. But eventually, it turned out that he wanted her and her family to carry the whole burden. When she started nicely objecting on some of his plans that required her to fund stuff (oh, and buy him presents and invite him to restaurants although he never did!) he started becoming rude, and things ended up with him shouting at her, swearing at her, and even threatening her to physically abuse her. When her family tried to be firm with him, he told them that when she becomes in his house, he will show them how he will lock her in the house and never allow her to get out except with a slapped face or a broken leg! Oh, yes... he shouted at her parents and insulted them as well!

And he did not divorce her. No. He hinted that she had to initiate the Khula' so that he does not have to pay anything. She did. She divorced him through Khula' after her uncles threatened him that they know his managers at work (because, oh, the powerful man used to threaten her since he works in intelligence!) and they can get him fired with dishonor! At the sharia court, he took his gold and flew.

I told her that she should made it clear to every one that he was divorced through Khula, and that he did not divorce her.

This is a typical bride hunting story from the middle east!

9 comments:

  1. So sad but alhamdulillah that she got out before they moved in together. That is really bad of him. It doesn't really matter how limited his means are because Islamically he has to support her, she doesn't have to pay anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I told her that she should say alhamdulellah a thousand times because she did not enter that marriage. I know of several friends who were not supported in these situations by their families and were convinced to bear and continue. The "Islamic" pretext is always that the wife should practice "Sabr" and be patient.
      Exactly! In Islam the HUSBAND is responsible for providing for the house! If the wife wants to work and participate in providing for the house it is up to her. I know that in the world of today we should be practical, and I am one of the women who work to provide for my house along with my husband, but all the time I have the option to stay at home and try to live with the money my husband is making. I am working because the life circumstances here in Jordan are difficult, and because I want to be able to live a financially better life. It is MY decision.
      But recently, I am frequently hearing news about guys looking for brides who have good jobs! While they are content with comfortable very low income jobs (usually government jobs with short hours and very simple work load that allows them to spend the day drinking coffee and smoking) and do not try to improve their situation. Is is as if they want to remain in their comfort zone and be able to provide bread and tea, and want the bride to take the risks and have the good paying job and spend on every other luxury.
      That is so cheap! And very un-Islamic as well!
      But seems always the man's family succeed in making it look like the bride (r ex-bride) will burn in hell!

      Delete
  2. Is this really typical? Wow. I'd stay single.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a typical story... not that regular stories do not happen, of course... some guys are well bred and well educated, they look for a good bride, they find her, they discuss every thing ahead of time and they get married happily...
      But I am coming across more and more of this story. This is one of the stories that has ended at just the right time. Some others do not have the luxury to stop things before they get serious, and they are forced to endure the suffering and struggle in silence!

      Delete
    2. Why do you think your friend's situation is becoming more common?

      Delete
    3. Well, for several reasons!
      An unspoken conpirqcy in favor of men (a man's back is most of the time covered by members of the society without even asking for) makes it easy for a girl to fall in the trap of such a man..
      Also, the increasing employment of females -specially in relatively high income jobs- makes some men drool over a high income wife that spares him the need to improve himself...
      And the lack of support from families who all what they care about is getting their daughters married and never allow them to get out of that marriage fearing: 1. The social shame
      2. That they will be responsible again for their expenses (specially that alot of them are forced toeave their jobs if the husband fears that the good job is giving tge woman some autonomy.

      Delete
  3. Why did they have to get divorced if they weren't married yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because they signed the contract :-)
      ummm... I will submit a post about "Marriage" in Islam and in tradition :-)

      Delete
  4. Is seems these two did not know each other very well. This is something pretty much unheard of in the West. The couple, of course, often knows each other for quite a while before an engagement, even if they don't live together or sleep together. Is it also common over there for the bride and groom to be acquainted with each other before engagement?

    ReplyDelete